TCOTB Background

Friday, October 28, 2011

It'll Be Alright Again

Topping my summer fun list for the past few years has been attending a Sugarland concert at the State Fair.  The concert date typically falls right around my birthday and it has become a fun summer/birthday tradition.  As many of you know, I was at the Sugarland concert at the State Fair this year.  My mom got tickets for me as a birthday present and I was as excited as ever to go.  I'd listened to the Incredible Machine album that whole week so I would be able to belt those tunes out right along with Jennifer Nettles.  Our seats were in the grandstands, about halfway up and a little off to the side, but still comfortably under the roof of the grandstands. 

I hadn't paid any attention to the weather report that day.  I only knew that it had been gorgeous outside that whole day and I didn't antcipate anything different for that evening.  Sara Bareilles opened for Sugarland and she was performing when we took our seats.  Not only is she funny, she's an amazing talent!  Girl can sing!  I have been listening to her Little Voice album over and over again on Spotify and I can't get enough.  Have a listen to my favorite song, "Many the Miles", which is the last song Sara performed that night.  It was also the last live song we would hear that night.




Toward the end of her set, we noticed the sky starting to get rather dark.  There was some lightening in the distance and by all accounts, it looked like we were in for some rain.  As the crew was changing sets, the sky continued to grow dark and ominous.  It wasn't a nightfall kind of dark, either.  It was going to pour.  That fact should not have been lost on anyone.  Everyone, no matter where they were sitting or standing, could see the ugly sky.  Dan and I as well as several people around us were keeping an eye on the radar with our phones.  We saw the green, yellow and red on the radar, but we were still unrealistically hopeful it would somehow skip us.

I thought it was taking a little longer than usual to change sets and I was growing impatient waiting for Sugarland.  (Me?  Impatient?  No!)  A gentleman with a voice made for radio came on stage and indicated Sugarland would take the stage soon.  He stated the obvious - that it looked like we had some rain coming our way - and that if it became necessary, we could take shelter in one of three locations behind the Hoosier Lottery Grandstand, but that as soon as the bad weather passed, Sugarland would resume.

At that point, Dan and I had a conversation about how if it rained, we were protected due to our seats being under a roof or awning.  We had already made the decision that if they told us to evacuate, we'd probably just stay put because by the time they got everyone out, it'd be time to turn around and go right back. 



A few minutes later, the wind started picking up and we noticed it was kicking up some dust from around the track.  It was obvious that many people noticed the same thing because the audience grew louder, almost as if to cheer.  Some were even clapping.  It probably sounds strange to hear that, but there's just something about being at an outdoor concert when it rains.  Of course, no one likes to get soaked - it's uncomfortable - but when you've already paid money for the tickets, driven to the venue, and are waiting for the band take the stage, there seems to be a I'm-going-to-make-the-best-of-this mentality.  A we're-going-to-get-soaked-so-we-might-as-well-dance-in-the-rain kind of attitude.

The next few minutes have become an image that is burned into my memory.  The wind was strong.  Scary strong.  Thoughts about torandoes went through my mind.  The "Hoosier Lottery Grandstand" banner was flapping uncontrollably and the blue tarp covering the top of the stage had come loose.  The stage was swaying and people in the "Sugarpit" slowly started to flee.  Then it appeared that the wind blew the stage so far to the right that it could not correct itselt and the entire stage, including the rigging, lights, speakers, and Sugarland's set, at what felt like a snail's pace, came crashing to the ground.  Except it didn't fall at a snail's pace because Sugarland fans couldn't run away fast enough.



I saw it.  I saw the whole thing.  I watched that stage fall to the ground.  I saw people get swallowed up by the twisted metal.  I saw people in front of the stage fall like dominoes.  I heard screaming and chaos.  I was shaking.  I covered my mouth, grabbed Dan's arm and turned my head away.  Dan stated what I couldn't - "Some people probably just died down there."  I prayed.  I closed my eyes and prayed and prayed.  I felt like it was all I could do.  The wind was still blowing hard and I began to wonder if we were safe in the grandstands.  Would that somehow topple, too?

Nobody around us was moving.  I was paralyzed, my hand frozen over my mouth and my mind unable to comprehend what I had just witnessed.  Disbelief.  Screams.  Chaos.   Finally, I told Dan we just needed to go, to get out of that place.  We started to make our way to the stairs, but the entrance was bottlenecked with people trying to leave while at the same time looking back at the disaster.  Eventually we climbed over the bleacher-type seats and under a railing to get to an exit.  Hand in hand, we hurriedly and silently walked through some animal barns and back to our car. 


We reached our car and started to wind our way out of the parking lot.  Bewildered, I called my friends who I knew went to the concert to see if they were all okay.  Everyone was.  I also eventually got through to my mom to let her know we were okay.   As we made our way out of the parking lot, we were met by a parade of ambulances, police cars and fire trucks.  It wasn't until right about that time - several minutes after we'd left the grandstands - that it started to rain.

Dan and I both drove home in near silence, the only sound coming from the dings of our phones with text message alerts.  Unable to sleep after arriving home, we turned on the news and heard the unfortunate and devastating announcements that lives had been claimed and many had sustained injuries.  I was so sad, but couldn't turn it off.

In the days that followed, we came to know a little bit about those who had died and, not surprisingly, that their loved ones were filing lawsuits.  Pointing fingers. Placing blame.  Suing individuals, groups and companies for the loss of a life too soon.  I've deliberately avoided reading anything about the lawsuits.  I have my own opinions about the events that occurred that night - thoughts about the weather, the announcement that was made, the stage and the rigging.  Toughts about Sugarland and Sara Bareilles and what they must have been thinking and feeling.  Thoughts about the way news stations handled the tragedy.  Thoughts that don't really matter one way or another.

Tonight, Dan and I will be at the Sugarland concert at Conseco.  Even though the memory of that night is still etched into my memory, it's gradually fading.  I'm sure at some point tonight, something will be said that will trigger memories I don't really want to think about.  I'm sure it will be emotional, especially for Sugarland.  Even still, I'm excited to go.  I have hope that it will be a great tribute to the lives lost.  Sugarland has a song called "Shine The Light" and I think that's what they'll try to do tonight - shine the light. 

When your worries, they won't let you sleep
And rob you of your days
And you've looked in all directions
But you still can't find your way
When you just need someone to remind you
That it's all gonna be okay
I will shine the light
I will shine the light

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you were there, Steph. Corey and Abby and Stef were too. How awful. :(

    ReplyDelete