Dan and I leave for Guatemala on Friday. We're excited, and a little nervous, but we think we're ready. We haven't packed a thing, but aside from that little task, we're anxious to get there. We've been anticipating this since September, so we've had a lot of time to prepare!
The nerves come in because of the language barrier (none of us are fluent in Spanish) and because we really aren't sure what to expect. Three teams have gone down to Magdalena from our church, and each one has come back literally unable to put words to their trip. "It'll change your life," seems to be a common reaction when asked about their experience. "Amazing can't begin to describe it," is another. I've been on mission trips before, but apparently nothing as powerful as this. We are so thankful for a church that encourages us to step outside our comfort zones and fearlessly answer God's call to be sent. In the midst of my anxiety, I am reassured by Isaiah 41:9-10, which was my devotional on the way to work yesterday - a perfect message at the perfect time (as usual when we're talking about God):
I took you from the ends of the earth,
from its farthest corners I called you.
I said, ‘You are my servant’;
I have chosen you and have not rejected you.
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
![]() |
| Beverly |
As we prepare to leave, please join us in praying. Please pray:
- For protection and avoidance of travel mishaps. There have been a number of travel "adventures" involved in Indy Metro's trips to and from Guatemala, including getting majorly stuck in the mud, flight delays, and flight cancellations due to airlines going bankrupt! Of course we'd ultimately like to avoid this, but in the event of any unforeseen or unpleasant blips in our travels, please pray that we would be patient, kind and understanding, always remembering that we are representing the body of Christ and Indy Metro Church.
- Pray that we would allow God to soften our hearts and that we would be open to whatever God is trying to teach us. My experience upon returning from mission trips is a high that comes from having been apart from this material, fast-paced world, having engaged in something exciting, worthwhile, and different. It seems to last a couple weeks, and then gradually fade away as I get back into the groove of my "normal" life. I pray that I am open to a complete lifestyle change, whatever that looks like. We pray that this has a long-lasting, positive impact on us as a married couple, and also as individuals.
- Above all else, please pray for the people of Magdalena. God is doing HUGE, amazing things there and we pray that we can contribute to that. We are so excited to get a chance to show God's love and mercy to the children of the art and baking schools and their families. Pray that it wouldn't be about us, about how we feel or what we think, but that it'd be ALL about God and sharing His love with people who need it.
![]() |
| Nancy |
Thank you so much for your prayers and support.



No comments:
Post a Comment