TCOTB Background

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Apple Pie


It's time for an apple recipe!  I promised to do it, so I am.  A part of me wanted to be selfish and keep it all to myself.  But, it's so good, and the recipe's not really mine to begin with, so, here I am, giving away my "secrets."  This recipe comes from one of my very favorite websites - www.thepioneerwoman.com.  In addition to being absolutely hilarious, she posts recipes that are to die for.

Here's the crust recipe I use:  Perfect Pie Crust

And here's the apple pie recipe I use:  Scrumptious - and I do mean scrumptious - Apple Pie

There.  I did it.  My secret's out!

My recipe is only slightly different.  Here's how I make it:
Flour and Crisco...


...plus a few other ingredients...


 ...yields about 3 pie crusts.  Keep one out and freeze the other
two so you can make this pie for your friends!


Roll it out onto a lightly floured surface.

 Transfer it to your pie plate.


And make the edges perty!

Peel and core some apples -
whatever kind you want!

And get your husband to slice 'em real thin.
 
Sprinkle in some goodness
and let them sit for a couple minutes.

The recipe doesn't call for it, but I always sneak in some cinnamon and nutmeg at this point.  How ya gonna make an applie pie without cinnamon and nutmeg?!

In the meantime, make the crumble topping.  I only use 6-8 T. butter, instead of 12, but you can do whatever makes your boat float.

Stir it all up.

Go back to your apples.
Taste two.  Smile.  Feel happy.
(It's in the directions!)

Dump 'em into the pie crust

Now top it off with the crumble topping.

Make a tin foil crust protector.
I made up that name.
But that's what it is.

Stick it in the oven for a while.
Your house will start to smell divine!
Then chop up some pecans and toss them
on top of the pie with about 5 minutes left to bake,
along with any kind of crust embellishments.

Pull it out of the oven and drizzle
lots of caramel all over the top.

Take it to your next gathering (ours happened to be a Colts game) and just wait for the recipe requests to start rolling in!

No comments:

Post a Comment