TCOTB Background

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Entryway HELP!

We have someone coming tomorrow to give us a quote on stripping some wallpaper and painting our entryway, walls leading upstairs, and upstairs hallway.  My question:  what color paint should we use!??!

This wallpaper was something I wasn't really digging when we moved in, but it wasn't on the top of the home improvement list, either.  The longer it stays, the more I dislike it.  After a year and a half, it's time to say goodbye to the feather wallpaper!

As you can see in the pictures below, our woodwork and doors are white.  Therefore, I think I want a darker color paint.  Not TOO dark or bold, but something that will make the woodwork pop.  We also have black frames and furniture in the entryway and I want to keep those in the location they are now.  I have a habit of going safe/neutral with paint and decor and I want to step away from that a little bit, but not too much.

So...tell me...what color paint should we use!?  Seriously...please help us decide!

This is looking into the entryway from the open space between the kitchen and living room in our house.

This is looking at the entryway from what used to be the formal sitting room in our house.  Our original hopes were to make this an office, but since having a baby, it has sort of turned into the playroom.  Either way, the walls are white...very plain.  Except there are a bunch of pink toys, a playmat and a pack 'n play strewn about.

This is leading upstairs, obviously.  It's all connected to the entryway...  (Yes, the carpet is on the "to-do" list.  Actually the "to-remove" list.  One step at a time...) 

This is the view from the dining room, which we painted a yellow/goldenrod color.  Black dining room table and chairs, and white curtains in the dining room.  You can see the stairs leading upstairs to the left.

This is the view from the front door.  This is opposite the first picture.  Dan and Maya are standing where I was in the first picture. 

This is from the top of the stairs leading down.  A lot of wall, which is one the reasons we're hiring someone to do this job.  If we tried, it would certainly involve a broken neck and that's just not something anyone wants.  I hope, when it's all painted to put a lot of pictures up on the walls leading upstairs.

This is the upstairs hallway.  Same wallpaper.  Should this be the same color paint as the downstairs/stairway walls?

Same hallway upstairs, just from the opposite direction.

So, HELP!  Someone who has an opinion - professional or amateur - what color should we use!?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what color but I do think having continuity with the stairway and upstairs hallway color might be good??? Or maybe do all the walls downstairs one color and a more neutral color starting on the stairway walls through the upstairs. That way you can do lots of pictures on the stairway without having to compete with a bold color. But I do think a bolder color downstairs would look really nice!

    ReplyDelete