TCOTB Background

Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Very Special Gift

My dad sent me a text the other day.  We were coordinating plans for a surprise birthday dinner for my stepmom and the next thing I knew, I was reading a text that said, "Are you home?"  It didn't really flow very well with the text conversation we were having, but I didn't think much of it.  "Yep," I replied.  Maybe he wanted to talk about the dinner plans in person.  "Ok, be there in 5."  I had no idea why he was coming over because we were doing just fine texting our plans to each other. 

Sidenote:  One of the joys of moving back to our hometown is that I literally live 0.1 mile from my dad, 6 miles from my mom, and 2 miles from my in-laws.  Some people might not like this arrangement, but I absolutely LOVE it.  It's still kind of novel to me when I get a phone call or text letting me know one of our parents is on the way for a visit and that they'll be at our house in 5 minutes.  For 8 or 9 years that wasn't an option since we lived in different cities.  It's so wonderful having our parents close and being able to get together on a whim.

I listened for him to pull in the driveway and met him at the door.  He was carrying this huge, wooden...thing.  And my grandparents were with him, carrying another huge, wooden...thing.  And another thing, too.  I was confused.

Dad put the large pieces together in our living room and I soon figured out it was...




A bassinet for the baby!

And not just any bassinet! 

It is the bassinet I used as a baby.



The bassinet I used as a baby that my dad made.


The bassinet I used as a baby that my dad made from an oak tree on my maternal grandpa's farm!


 
In addition, my grandma made a cute, new, gender-neutral cover for the bassinet pad .  I am SO excited to use it!


 
Talk about heart warming, sentimental and special.  This is one very loved baby already!

2 comments:

  1. so sweet!! Sounds just like the toy box my dad made for the boys one Christmas. It was made from wood my grandpa had in his workshop that my dad took after be passed away. So special, in so many ways!!

    Can't wait to see you on Friday and hear the NEWS!!

    -Staci

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I am in tears! That is the sweetest thing your family could give you right now!!! How special. Hope pregnancy is going well for you and it sounds like it is. Talk to you soon <3

    Leah

    ReplyDelete