TCOTB Background

Monday, June 6, 2011

Weeds

Weeds really annoy me.  I mean, seriously.  What is their purpose on this earth? 

When we first moved into our rental home, I was so excited to have a yard.  A fenced-in yard!!  I had big plans for this yard of ours, but it was a mess.  It was probably 50% grass and 50% weeds.  I didn't care so much about the lawn.  Dan kept it mowed regularly enough that the clover could pass for grass (from a distance, anyway).  The patio area, though, was going to require an overhaul. 
  

And we did.  We overhauled that patio like it was our job.  We spent lots of after-work hours and weekends spraying Round Up and digging up those stupid weeds.  We rearranged the brick pavers, relocated rocks, bought flowers and mulch and made it look awesome!  We enjoyed many nights around the firepit and many afternoons sipping wine at our bistro set, all on our weed-free patio.   For my first time really doing any gardening or landscaping, I was pleased.



And then fall and winter came.  Our focus shifted from this rental home to looking for our own home.  Then spring rolled around and brought on a new round of weeds.  With all the rain we've had, the weeds have come back with a vengeance!  And I still hate them with a passion!  Although I believe it's an intensified passion.  I think about all the time and energy we put into ridding the patio area of weeds, and now there are more weeds than there were before we even started.  It makes me mad!  But.  But, but but.  Good news:  We're moving in a two weeks.  And I couldn't be happier to say goodbye forever to this yard!  

The current state of our weed garden:

Grr...weeds everywhere!
Even Darla is confused!

Is this not completely ridiculous?!

What is your purpose, little dandelion?


We've succumbed to the weeds.  In fact, we're letting the beauty in the above picture grow until it can't grow anymore.  I placed a chair beside it for height reference.  It's about as tall as our bistro chair.  It has become funny.  A joke.  I can hear the weeds snickering behind my back.   "She thought she got the best of us.  We'll show her!" 

I give up.  My white flag of surrender is whipping in the wind.  You win, weeds. 

The state of our backyard makes me even more excited to move!!

2 comments:

  1. AMEN! Weeds have no value.... none. except to be eaten by those stupid bugs... which could be another post topic. dang those bugs and weeds...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has hard to care about weeds in a rental house!

    As a side note, there is a song by Five Iron Frenzy called "Dandelions". It is such a good song. You might like it.

    And woot! for moving soon!

    ReplyDelete