TCOTB Background

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A simple breakfast idea

I love breakfast food.  I could eat breakfast food for every meal and be completely satisfied.  I think it all started in college when I would (often) eat cereal for meals other than breakfast.  It was cheap, fast and convenient.  What more could a college student ask for?  Don't bother answering that.

Anyway, this breakfast idea is something my dad and I used to do on the weekends.  It's nothing complicated or mind-blowing, just a quick and easy breakfast.  I call it the biscuit bar.  Just pop some biscuits in the oven and set out an assortment of toppings.  Voila!

I used Bisquick, but if you're a Grands or made-from-scratch type of biscuit person, by all means, go for it.



We happened to have the following delicious toppings on hand:  margarine, peach preserves, homemade grape jelly, apple butter, and honey.  This was everything I could've wanted to put on the biscuits. 



Side note:  Dan put a little piece of cheese on our plates because he was reminded of our last breakfast on our honeymoon, which also contained a piece of cheese and looked like this: 

   
Try the biscuit bar sometime, especially if you're in a hurry!

For the second part of this post, I'd like to demonstrate why I am in love with my baking stone and why you need one in your life.  I think it takes some getting used to, and some tweaking of baking times, but I couldn't imagine baking on anything else!

I had enough batter for 7 biscuits, but only 6 would fit on my stone.  Instead of rearranging the biscuits or keeping the oven on for two batches, I dug my second-rate cookie sheet out of the cabinet and plopped the remaining batter on it.  Both the baking stone and the cookie sheet went in the oven at the exact same time and remained in the oven for the exact same amount of time.

The results:
These look pretty similar, right? 
Looks can be deceiving, my friends!

The insides of the two biscuits were also pretty similar. 
Although you can't see it in this picture, the biscuit on the
cookie sheet came out a little drier than the biscuit on the stone.

Still not convinced? Hold on to your hats:

I don't believe this needs any explaination.
Get the stone.  Use the stone.  Love the stone.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, one of these Saturdays Ryan and I are just going to show up at your house ready to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH. Seriously, that's my biggest pet peeve about doing biscuits at the house, is the burning and roughing of the bottom. I need the stone.

    ReplyDelete