TCOTB Background

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The View

I have some good news that I am very excited to share with you.   I was recently offered a position as an attorney!!  Finally!  A real life, grown-up job, with an office (ooooo) and a salary (gasp!).  This may not sound like a big deal to most, but it's a milestone for me.  Exciting times in the life of EssKress!

I'm finally going to have the opportunity to use the degree I went through h-e-double-hockey-sticks to get.  Not that I don't thoroughly enjoy doing copying jobs, running errands, getting people coffee and completing other menial tasks all. day. long.  Because I do.  I love it.  I really, really...okay, you get the message.

We are still negotiating the details and nothing is on paper quite yet, so I won't go into much more detail lest I jinx myself.  Don't worry, though.  You'll get the full scoop soon enough.

In the meantime, I am working at a law firm which happens to be located at the very top of a tall building smack dab in the middle of Indianapolis.  Although the work I do here isn't glamorous, I feel blessed to have a job at all and there are several things about this job that I will really miss.

A.  This is an office where the employees truly work as a team.  It's totally awesome.  I've never been a part of a work environment like this one.  All day long, the attorneys are bouncing ideas off of each other, bee-bopping from one office to another discussing various issues in their cases.  Although everyone has a different work style, it all pans out very efficiently.

B.  I will completely miss my office mate, Michele.  It has been nice to have someone to talk to throughout the days.  (I do get rather chatty, so maybe she feels differently about my leaving.)  We talk about things that are going on in our lives outisde of the office.  We talk about our evenings and our weekends.  She and one of the attorneys, Terri, have been my ear throughout my job searching process, constantly praying for me, congratulating me on every achievement, picking me up at times I thought I'd never find a job, and forever asking questions (and answering mine) along the way.  It's hard to leave something so comfortable. 

C.  I will miss the kitchen.  Ohhhh, the kitchen.  This kitchen is always chock-full of snacks and beverages.  Anytime I feel the hunger rumbles setting in, the almonds, granola bars and bananas are just feet away.  Of course, so are the packages of M&Ms, Reese cups, bags of chips and chocolate covered raisins.  I may or may not have fallen into that trap a time or two.  I won't even get started on the water and coffee machines.  I've been spoiled.  I'll leave it at that.



D.  Perhaps more than anything, though, I will miss the beautiful view.  Having grown up and spent my entire life, aside from vacations and study abroad stints, in Indiana, it has become easy to take my all too familiar surroundings for granted.  Not here.  There hasn't been a day I've stepped into this office that I've taken this view for granted.  Working on the 30th floor provides pretty stellar scenery, even on this particularly cold, grey Indiana day.



I won't get this view in Greensburg.  That's for sure.  Oops.  That might have just been a little hint...  Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. Wow...congrats!!! That's great! :) Are you moving to Greensburg then?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Casey. :) We will eventually be moving there, but are going to spend a year or two more in Indy while Dan is still in school. I'm not ready for small town living quite yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. scrap it all and move to Tampa! Okay, Okay Congrats Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. of course you can always go see the tower tree when you're in greensburg. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say you should ask your new firm in Greensburg to open a satellite office in Indy, and locate it in the Chase Building.

    ReplyDelete